Thursday, August 7, 2008

smoking

Smoking Causes Cancer, reads every advert on all cigarette packets; yes, I know, no need to bloody remind me.   I am not illiterate or stupid! But thanks for telling me. Duh!  I am educated, with average intelligence, a fantastic imagination, sufficiently articulated and am wholly aware of the dangers of cigarette/tobacco smoking.  Thank you very much Mr General Surgeon or Surgeon General and the Ministry of Health for the warning.  I will not heed your warning however, I voluntarily choose to ignore it!!
I appreciate the trouble you have gone to, to place nasty and gory pictures on packets of cigarettes, presumably to put us off smoking.  It must have cost the tobacco company millions of dollars to do that and I realise it's because of your insistance.  
But really, you need not have gone to all that bother.  I will exercise my rights and still carry on smoking.  If I die because of smoking then so be it. Your concern for my health is touching but not necessary.  I am a big girl now and if I choose to die of lung cancer, or heart disease, really , it's my choice, not yours.  
Look, I am gonna die one day anyway, if it's 5 years sooner than expectation, then so be it, I've had good innings and besides, in this day and age of stress and pressure, why the devil would I want to live longer anyway.  Whatsmore, I dont think I can afford to live longer, the prices of things nowadays, and the rising inflation.it's enough to frighten anyone to an early grave.    And besides, the sooner I go the better for a younger person to get my job......  dont mind making room for a younger person. 

If you say, that the government will spend loads of money on people like me due to medical bills, hey, how often do we get free medical attention anyway.  We paid into the system enough to qualify for healthcare.  And at the same time, we have to pay for health insurance, so,  how is it costing the government ???  

You reckon I may be harming others. OOOO I'm sorry, can they get out of my way please...  they dont need to be near me afterall.   Why dont the non-smokers go out into the fresh air?  Isnt that what they want in the first place?   Let us smokers stay inside the 'den' of trapped smoke and choke ourselves to death... it's our choice afterall.   Right?!   Why designate us to the outdoors?  We dont want fresh air! We want dirty smoke !! Keep us in smoky rooms please.

You increase the price of tobacco and say it's for our own good.... really?... I thought that it was to line your governmental pockets.... you make alot of many out of us and you know it.   You know it's not easy to quit our habit, and you know that no matter how much you increase the price, we'll still buy our tobacco, you know the habits of an addict..... you know it's a surefire way to make money.... so you use it.  You cant get to use via the social outcast modes of yesteryear so to try to outcast us in another way. By threatening us with bad health, and bad hygiene.  Tsk tsk tsk.... what tactics you display mr Wolf!

Why dont you put heavy taxes on alcohol??    Are alcoholics socially acceptable? more acceptable than smokers!    Are alcoholics harmless??    Are they not abusive to themselves and to others too?  Are families, careers and lives not ruined by alcohol?  
Yet it is easier and more acceptable to get cheap alcohol than it is to get cigarettes.  Why are we being manipulated thus?  Why is alcohol and alcoholics not victimised as much as smokers???
Am I missing the point?  Why?
Who can answer me?

Is alcohol more healthy than smoking?  Why dont alcohol bottles have health warnings?? with gory pictures?? and abused spousses and children?
When was the last time, a smoker beat his wife or smacked his kids???  How many smokers walk into the road in stupor? How many smokers drove their cars dangerously and killed another person.  How many tobacco smokers are unaware or without their full faculty whilst smoking???

Ah, the smoker spat some flam in the basin, geez, that's an offence, put him/her in jail for it.  Hah! that smoker just coughed labouriously, call the cops!   Oh No!, that smoker stinks of tobacco, get the stink bomb police on him/her!   Look another smoker, just flicked ash all over the carpet, throw him out!!  

Look, I can appreciate, that some people are bothered by smoke. Fair enough.  But this blatant prejudice is totally unjustified.  Give us a break!!!  
If you must do this to us then do the same with alcohol.  ;-)  that will put afew businesses on the red road to bankruptcy. 

Personally, I will carry on smoking.  It's my pleasure ... I actually enjoy it.  And I try not to inconvenience people but the thing is , people make it inconvenient for me.  How selfish of them.  I am no pariah!  I dont hurt anyone. i dont abuse anyone.  I just want to have a smoke at my ease.  if you dont like it, move to another table or go to another venue. Just leave me alone. 
I am happy .... what's your problem.

have a nice smoky day people.   :-)) puff puff


No comments: